- TXID Eczema Clinic in San Antonio, we offer the most comprehensive approach for diagnosis and treatment of Eczema
- Our Renowned dermatologists carefully examine your skin and offer various tests if needed to identify the type of eczema in order to effectively treat your eczema
- Our dermatologists may perform some additional tests to exclude factors, such as allergens, that may trigger or worsen your eczema
- Using the latest available knowledge, our eczema experts would recommend a treatment that is specifically designed for treating your eczema based on your skin type and your need
- Our experts consist of renowned dermatologists and health care professionals who treat various types of eczema in TXID Eczema clinic in South Texas, including San Antonio and Boerne. We offer excellence in treatment of dry and eczematous skin using a comprehensive approach.
What causes Eczema?
Several lines of evidence suggest that eczema is hereditary. The eczematous sensitive skin differs from healthy skin. Typically, in normal, healthy skin the “outer barrier” is made up of keratinocyte cells that are held together with many lipids and proteins, like bricks (cells) and mortars (proteins). This important skin structure helps to keep skin moisture in while keeping irritants outside of the skin.Eczema patients have a very weak “outer barrier;’” there are “holes” in the skin layer that plays a key role in protecting the skin. Consequently, lack of a normal barrier due to defect in any of the lipid or proteins results in skin that easily loses its moisture and allows more irritants in, causing itchy and dry skin
Once skin irritants have entered inside of the skin, it triggers itch and irritation, which causes the urge you may have to scratch the skin. Scratching can aggravate the eczema and cause flares that manifest as red, itchy, dry, scaly skin.
Eczema and atopic dermatitis affect daily life
Eczema, even in a warm temperature like San Antonio, can be a very stressful and frustrating condition. It can certainly make living your daily life challenging and uncomfortable. The intense, frequent itch can cause loss of sleep and days off from work, and many children have to miss school days. You may find yourself making significant lifestyle changes and even avoiding fun activities, like going to the pool or playing a sport, because of your eczema. You may wear certain clothes to cover up the way it looks. Of course, if you’re a parent, you may worry if you’re doing everything you can to help your child.
Eczema looks like a dry cracked skin
There are different forms of Eczema; they vary from mild, when skin patches are slightly dry, itchy and rashy, to severe forms. Severe Eczema is characterized by areas of dry skin that are irritated with cracked and oozing patches. Eczema typically has a course of flare-ups and remission of these dry skin symptoms.